Navigating the Maze of Autism …
The Level 1 Autism Disorders Department is among the numerous specialty programs offered at West Bergen Mental Healthcare. Asperger’s is a neurobiological disorder that involves significant difficulty with social skills and patterned or repetitive behaviors or a narrow obsessive like approach to interests and activities. While individuals with Level 1 Autism Disorders typically demonstrate an average to superior range of intelligence, their symptoms may range from mild to severe. In addition to Level 1 Autism itself, affected individuals may be at increased risk for developing related issues such as anxiety and depression.
Since its inception in 1999, the ALevel 1 Autism Disorders Department has become a regional leader in offering full diagnostic and comprehensive treatments services for individuals with Level 1 Autism Disorders, High Functioning Autism, Pervasive Developmental Disorder Not Otherwise Specified (PDD, NOS), Nonverbal Learning Disabilities and other disorders affecting social communication and interpersonal skills. The department offers extensive programming for children, adolescents, adults and family members affected by Level 1 Autism Disorders.
Currently West Bergen offers over 40 therapeutic social skills groups for individuals ranging in age from preschool through adulthood. Each staff member is thoroughly trained in strategies and techniques to address the social and emotional needs of the individual.
The Level 1 Autism Disorders Program offers a menu of services including:
• Differential diagnostic evaluations and psychological assessments
• Therapeutic social skills groups
• Individual therapy
• Family or couples therapy
• Specialty events and Recreational Programs
• Community outreach
• Trainings for schools, agencies or organizations
• Professional presentations and conferences
• Neurotypical Peer Socialization Program
• Medication consultation and management
• Workplace or residential consultations and/or training
• Specialized Family Support Groups
• SOAR Experience—A summer day program in a camp-like environment with a Counselor-In-Training Vocational Program.